(1) 6S Pasture Raised Rabbit
(to taste) Salt
(to taste) Pepper
(Handful to taste) Fresh Sage
(for sautéing) Butter
(3-4 fresh) Garlic Cloves
(2 cups) White Wine
(2 medium) Onion
(2 medium) Apples
(1/2 tsp) Ground Allspice
- Cut rabbit into pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt butter then brown rabbit pieces in cast iron enamel roaster over medium heat.
- Chop garlic and sage and add to roaster. Cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic and softened. Pour in 2 cups of white wine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes checking liquids and flipping rabbit pieces regularly. Add more wine as necessary.
- Chop the onion in strips or chunks as preferred. Wash, core and chop apples in slices or chunks as preferred.
- Cook onions and apples in melted butter in a separate skillet until caramelized. Add apples and onions to roaster. Deglaze skillet with wine and add juices to roaster as well.
- Add allspice and more salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. About 30 minutes.
- At this point you can dig in or if you prefer, pop the roaster into the oven and roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until nicely browned all over.