- (3) Small to Medium Acorn Squashes
- (1 lb) 6S Loose Breakfast Sausage (Can also use Loose Spicy Italian Sausage or Maple Bacon Breakfast Sausages)
- (1/2 c) Chopped Onion
- (2) Crisp Fresh Apples - Chopped
- (1/2 c) Raisins
- (1/2 c (plus some for sprinkling)) Pecans - Chopped
- (1/4 c) Fresh Sage - Chopped finely
- (2 tsp) Cinnamon
- (1 c) Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- (for drizzling) Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. (Note - to get some beautiful golden color on the squash, near the end of the baking time, baste the cut side of the squashes with butter then finish the baking time with a short broil to get the desired amount of color)
- Meanwhile, cook the loose sausage and onions in a cast iron skillet. Once cooked through add chopped apples and sage and continue cooking until apples are just fork tender (a little crispness remaining is preferable to cooking until spongy).
- Remove from heat. Stir in raisins, most of the pecans, cinnamon and 1/2 the cheddar cheese.
- Spoon sausage mixture into prepared squash then drizzle with maple syrup.
- Top with the rest of the pecans and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.